Tuesday, December 28, 2010

An Unexpected Christmas Surprise!

We live on the east coast...an area that rarely sees snow. This is an area that when an inch or two is forcasted, it's quite likely we'll be out of school for a day or two. The hubs and I were headed to my sister's house (local) for Christmas morning, and then off to his parents house (approximately 2 hours away) for the remainder of Christmas Day. From there, we were scheduled to head to his grandparents house in Pennsylvania (6 hours from his parents house, 8 from ours) through Thursday, Dec. 30. We were hoping to stop in Pittsburgh to go ice skating in Heinz Field, on the rink set up for the Winter Classic and stop off at Ikea as well. Unfortunately, our plans had to change  a little. Christmas Day brought a snow storm of epic proportions to our area.

Currently, we have two dogs. Sassy is our hound mix that we rescued 4 years ago, and we are currently keeping Willow, a Siberian Husky, that belongs to a friend of the hubs in the military. We are keeping him until he can take her to where he is (anticipated to be February or March). Sassy is staying with my parents, by Willow has some aggression issues and is quite active. We thought it would be better to keep the dogs separate in this strange situation, so we asked a friend to pet sit. We were already safely up at his parents when our pet sitter called with horrible news. She couldn't make it to our house. That was 8:30AM December 26. I told her to just try to get over there as soon as she could-she had last been over there at 8PM the previous night, thinking she'd be able to make it later that afternoon. Not ideal, but doable. Well, as of 6PM, she said there was no way she would be able to make it there and it was quite possible she could not make it out the next day.

I hated to do it, but I told the hubs we needed to head home. The interstate roads we traveled were not bad at all, but as soon as we got off of them, we entered treacherous territory. We were looking at a foot of snow on the ground in an area that shuts down after an inch of snow. It was frightening trying to drive home, and I was afraid our little Toyota Corolla wasn't going to make it. Gladly, we are safely home now. Willow was quite thirsty, and had made a minor a mess in her kennel, but was otherwise OK. I feel horrible about how stressed out she must have been while trapped, so she has been napping under the pool table all afternoon. After getting home, though, I understand why our pet sitter had difficulty getting from her house (10 minutes away) to our house.

No comments: