Tuesday, November 27, 2012

New beginnings

Wednesday, June 13, 2012




It’s an exciting day: The last day of school (with students) for the school year. Sure, I have to go in tomorrow to turn in keys and finalize a few things, but the end is here. I’m so excited about this summer. For the first time in 6 years, I am no longer working with the marching band. That means my summer is about 4 weeks longer than it has previously been. I have a huge sense of freedom, both for my time and spirit.



Nick and I are actually taking a real vacation. In about 2 weeks, we’re headed up to Maine for a wedding, then we’ll be visiting a friend from college, and touring Boston during the Fourth of July Holiday. This will be our first big vacation together-completely out of our comfort zones-and the first time we’ve actually flown together. We’ll also be heading down to Gatlingburg, TN, with some friends on our “Gaycation.” We have two gay couples we’re close friends with, so we’re staying in a time share together in July. I’m anticipating lots of pool time, a trip or two to some wineries, white water rafting, and some outlet shopping.



I also turn the dirty 30 in less than a month. I’ve made no bones about how excited I am for this. My 20s have been rough, and I’m ready for a new chapter in my life. We’re planning a big bash at our house on July 7, in between vacations.



Speaking of new chapters in our lives, one of my things on my thirty before thirty was to do some soul searching and really figure out how we feel about having children. Nick and I have been talking a lot lately, and today, we’re taking a big step. I took my last birth control pill this morning. I would start the placebos, but I never take them anyway. I’m starting to chart, and we’re actually going to try to avoid for the next month or so. I’d really love to have a June baby, but we’d be content if it were to happen anytime from here forward. Its super scary and exciting all at once to embark upon this journey. For now, we’re not planning on telling anyone. I have mentioned it to two friends: one because she just had a baby back in March and I’ve been grilling her for information, and another who is thinking about jumping on this band wagon. It’s nice to have someone who knows and not keep it completely a secret, but I’m glad to not have everyone know what is going on, too.



So here’s to change…let’s see where this summer takes us!

No comments: