Sunday, July 14, 2013

Post Partum- Weeks 3 & 4

So things have gotten a bit crazy around here. To be honest, the shit hit the fan, not with Jack or Nick and I, but in several things regarding our lives, and it's been difficult to find the time to breathe, let alone blog. We are thinking things are going to slow down for a little bit, so I should be hopping back on the blog more frequently. Also, I've had the chance to try a few new beers, malt beverages and wine, so I need to get back on writing about some of them!

As soon as I think we're getting into the groove of breastfeeding, something ends going not quite as smooth. Jack has hit several growth spurts lately, encouraging him to feed like crazy and very little time between feedings. I get cranky from sitting for long periods, and sore. My butt hurts, my back hurts, and heaven help my poor nipples. That being said, after a day or two of frustration, it calms down and we're good again. I've started pumping more to build up a supply, and Nick has taken one of the middle of the night feedings. It's nice to not have get out of bed at 3AM, but I'm still using that time to pump. Additionally, even though I know Nick is completely competent, I stay up listening to him on the monitor, wondering if I need to get up and help him. I have not gone in there yet (although, I would if he asked me to), but I can't let myself fall back to sleep while he's in there.

We left Jack with a baby sitter for the first time. He stayed with Nick's sister Ellen while we went to see Paul McCartney (which, by the way, it sucked to try to pump while there). I was thankful to have some pocket/all-in-one diapers for her to use on him. Of course, he was a pooping machine while we were gone, so he went through all 6 of them and 2 additional disposables while we were gone. I thought that Nick would like these diapers, too, but he actually avoids them like the plague. He much prefers the prefolds and covers (now that he knows how to use them).

During the week, I also celebrated my 31st birthday during the week. It was an awesome birthday. My family asked what I wanted/needed for my birthday. I knew I needed a new purse, so I was perusing the Vera Bradley website. I ended up finding 2 purses, a cooler tote, and a check book cover for $100, with a beach towel thrown in for free. Mom got me those for Christmas, and considering that each of the purses were originally $74 or so, I think it was a pretty good deal. I also got some beautiful flowers to plant in our front yard (which desperately needs some attention) and a promise for manual labor to help get everything cleaned up/planted, and a gift certificate for a spa package (pedicure, facial and upper body massage). I'm debating whether or not to try to use it before we go to the beach for pretty toes, or wait until we come back.

As far as the weight loss goes, ehhh...not pleased. 2 weeks ago, I was up 3lbs, and then down 1.5 this week. I rejoined Weight Watchers this week, and although I haven't been as good as I was previously with tracking thus far, I have been making better decisions. Everyone keeps telling me my stomach has gone down so much, which is great, but in all honestly, I'm much more concerned about my hips and thighs. I cannot wait until I can start Pilates again (and maybe throw in some yoga) once I'm cleared at my 6 week post partum appointment.

While I am not digging my body right now, at least my hair looks decent.


Stay tuned for Jack's One Month post...I'm waiting until we go to the doctor tomorrow to update his height and weight stats.

No comments: