Monday, December 21, 2009

Gift Giving

This morning I was reminded of why we give gifts, even small, seemingly insignificant ones. A teacher I work with is going through a very rough time. Her husband has been going through some quite severe health issues. They thought they had a diagnosis, but now the doctors are not sure. He's dealing with something that appears to be terminal, and they really do not know what is going on.

This weekend, the hubs and I were making some home made fudge and Chex Mix. I was putting together little gift buckets for some friends here at work and decided on a whim to make one for the aforementioned teacher. When I gave it to her this morning, her eyes lit up. She's going through such a hard time right now, something so insignificant as my little bucket of goodies made her day a little better. I'm sure it wasn't the prospect of fudge or Chex mix that made her particularly happy, but the unexpected gesture in such a dark time. I had no idea it would have such an impact, but I'm so glad I did what I could for her.

While I may have made her day a little better, she certainly made my Christmas.

No comments: