Tuesday, November 10, 2009

James River Cellars Chardonel


Wine:James River Cellars Chardonel
Store: Neptune Wine Festival, website also says it is available at VA ABC stores; ordering is also available on their website.
Price: $14.00

"The quintessential picnic wine. 'Chardonel' grape resulted from the crossing of Seyval and Chardonnay in 1953 at Cornell University. The wine offers an interesting combination of flavors from each parent grape variety. Every vintage year can hold surprises in how those flavors and aromas develop. This vintage is fruity and off-dry, with a provocative spicy banana aroma. Try it with pizza or Asian cuisine."~www.jamesrivercellars.com

This wine is more than I usually spend on wines, but it's quite unusual, and very yummy. I think it's the perfect mix of sweet and dry, which just a hint of spice to it. Definitely light enough to be a picnic wine, as described above, but I sit here drinking it in November, and it doesn't feel too light. I'm really enjoying this tonight, and I might help myself to another glass.

Rating 4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments: