Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Diaper Cake

For my sister's baby shower about a month ago, I made a lovely little diaper cake. It was extremely popular, so here's a little tutorial on how I made it.

I started out with a whole slew of goodies. Some people made their cakes with just diapers, but I liked adding in other small goodies, too. When I first started out, I played around with the idea of including some of these clothes in there, too. As it turned out, I just wrapped them seperately.

So what supplies did I use?
1. Package of 40 size 1 Swaddlers Diapers
2. Package of 36 size 2 Diapers
3. Johnson's Baby Beginner Gift Pack (includes Baby Wash, Shampoo, Diaper Rash Cream, Lotion, and Safety Swabs)
4. Johnson's Take Along Pack (includes travel sized baby wash, shampoo, lotion, power, and desitin)
5. Set of 2 bottle brushes
6. Set of 2 Pacifers
7. Set of 3 bottles
8. Oragel
9. A rubber ducker that the bottom indicates the temperature of bath water.
10. Rabbit Teething Toy
11. Two plastic teething rings (hard to see in the pic)

Other supplies you will need:
1. Rubber Bands
2. Ribbon 1 1/2 to 2 inch works best
3. Platter of some sorts

So....Step 1: Roll the diaper from the closed end to the open end. Wrap together in rubber band.


2. Step 2: Assemble the diapers in circular fashion, making them of different sizes. I believe I had something like 10 diapers in the top tier, about 25 on the second layer, and about 40 on the bottom layer. Also, as I was using two different sizes, I put the larger sizes in black elastic and put them towards the center of the tier.

3. Step 3: (Sorry no, pics!) Insert the other goodies on the outskirts of the tiers.

4. Step 4: Use the 1 1/2 to 2 inch ribbon to wrap around the outside of the tier, binding it together. I used straight pins to keep the ribbon in place. Some of the bottles wanted to slide out from under the ribbon, so I used some tape to secure it under the ribbon.

5. Step 5: Stack the tiers on the platter, from biggest to smallest.

6. Step 6: I used curling ribbon to secure the rubber ducky on top of the cake and attach the pacifiers and teething rings to the ribbon.




No comments: