Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cloth Diapering-The start

Flashback to Mother's Day 2012

Me:...if we ever have kids, you know I want to cloth diaper.
Hubster: Well, of course. (Pause) Maybe we should talk more about when rather than if we have kids.

And that was the last month of birth control... 



It's never been a question for us what kind of diapers we wanted to use; cloth always seemed to be the only option. And it makes sense. We're not the greenest people on the face of the earth, but we certainly try to make an conscientious effort. We drive fuel efficient cars, use reusable shopping bags, recycle...lots of small things, but we try to do what we can. Cloth diapers seemed to be the natural choice.

We had the pleasure of going to a cloth diapering class at Diaper Junction this past weekend. I had done a fair amount of online research, but I was very excited to actually get some hands on experience. First of all. I was upper impressed with their customer service. They gave me a call to let me know there was road work going on and gave me an alternative route to get into the shopping center. Awesomeness.

The class was helpful; I did find that through my online research I actually knew a lot more than I expected. It also solidified my idea about using primarily prefolds and covers, and then supplementing with some pockets or all in ones as Baby Boy gets a little older (and a little more chunk on him). Here's my plan (which, of course, may change)

For the newborn stage:

  • 36 Diaper Rite Newborn Prefolds
  • 6 covers (2 Thirsties Duo Wrap Size 1, 1Econobum Size 1 cover, 1 Romparooz Newborn Cover, 2 Bummis Super Whisper Wraps)
  • 5 snappis

And then...

  • 24 Diaper Rite Small Prefolds
  • 24 Diaper Rite Medium Prefolds
  • 6 Diaper Covers (2 Diaper Rite One Size Covers, 2 Thirsties Duo Wrap Covers Size 2, 2 Flip Covers)
  • 6 One Size Pocket Diapers (2 Romparooz Pocket Diapers, 2 Thirsties Pocket Diapers, 2 Diaper Rite Pocket Diapers, 2 BumGenius 4.0s, 1 Kawaii Pocket Diaper-oops, that's actually 9...I guess I like pockets.)
  • 6 One Size All in One Diapers (1BumGenius Freetime, 1 BumGenius Elemental, 2 Thirsties Duo All in One...we'll see about 2 more)

So...right now, our stash looks like this:
Top row: BumGenius 4.0 in  Clementine and Lovelace, BumGenius Elemental in Moonbeam
Second Row:Thirsties Duo Wrap in Hoot and Scottish Storm,  12 Unbleached Diaper Rite Newborn Prefolds, 2 Flip Covers in Noodle and Sweet
Bottom Row: More of the prefolds, 2 Snappis in Blue and White

Additionally, we've registered for 2 pail liners, 2 swim diapers, a small wet bag, a medium wet bag, and an Aquaus Diaper Sprayer. We have a lot to get still, obviously, but I'm excited about what we have thus far. 

No comments: