Saturday, April 27, 2013

Diaper Cake # 25 million

I almost felt like a hypocrite making this cake today, but I had to remember other people's choices are not indicative of my own. And, since I received an 84 pack of Huggies as a shower gift, I was able to use them in this cake.

My sister is hosting a baby shower next weekend for her friend Jessica, who is due in July. The two of them ave been friends since Kindergarten, despite the fact that was the only year they were in school together and for most of their lives, they have lived about 2 hours apart. She lives on a farm, so the shower theme is based on that. And even though the outside looks pretty neat and clean, there are lots of goodies packed inside.

So what's in it?

1. 74 out of an 84 pack of Huggies Little Snugglers Diapers (retails for ~$20)
2. Target Up and Up Wipes ($1.99)
3. Desitin ($4.84)
4. Johnson and Johnson Apple Honey Baby Wash ($4.99)
5. Changing pad cover ($13.49)
6. Diaper Disposal bag dispenser ($3.59)
7. Adain and Anias Burpy Bib ($9.99)
8. Farm Bath Toys ($8.99)
9. Disposable Changing Pads ($5.84)
10. "Moo Moo, Baa Baa, La La La" by Sandra Boyton ($5.39)
11. Ribbon ($3.49)
12. Sunflowers ($2.00-Love Dollar Tree!)

Total spent: $64.60 (would be up to about $85 if I had had to purchase the diapers. I ended up not being able to fit the disposable changing pads in, so I I guess I'm just going to keep those for myself-they'll come in handy at some point. I guess that means I really only spent $58.76.

I used the fan method again, wrapping the diapers around my base (the baby wash and wipes). I needed a little more girth at the bottom, so I shoved the changing pad cover around the base and added in the diaper sac dispenser.

Once I got to the second tier, I wrapped the Burpy Bib around the Desitin and continued to wrap. By the third layer, it was just the Desitin, and the fourth layer was hollow in the middle.

As I was working on the cake, I used huge rubber bands to keep everything in place. Once all the layers were assembled, I used red ribbon to cover the rubber bands, hot gluing it into place. I finished off the cake by affixing the farm animals to the ribbon and adorning the rest of the. Ake with some sunflowers.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

No comments: