Thursday, August 7, 2008

Farm Fresh Wine Tasting

Farm Fresh is a local grocery store. It has come a long ways over the last 5 years or so...It is now a pretty high class store. There is one about 15 minutes from us that has these huuuuuuuuuge wine tasting galas about 3 or 4 times a year. We just returned from one. There were at least 10 tables with 3 or 4 wines at each one. A few had beers, too. It was phenomonal. It sounds a bit trashy to get free wine at a grocery store, but it's a nice event. I even ran into my high school calculus teacher there. Sadly, it was quite busy, and I didn't get to write down everything I liked to take a lot of notes on why I liked them.

Here are some notables:


Ghost Pines Merlot and Cabernet Sauvingon: Both very smooth going. Excellent wines for novice red drinkers. I believe it was $16.88.

Twin Vines Vinho Verde: Great white wine, has a bit of effervescence to it that almost seems sparkling. $6.96
Penasol Sangria: Very good Sangria in a Bottle (which just recently became legal to sell in Virginia). On sale, 2 for $10.
Chimay: Nice smooth Belgian Beer. About $11 for a liter bottle or so. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Anniversary Ale: I really liked the pale ale (I'm not much of a beer drinker), and I really enjoyed the Pale Ale. The Hubs and our friend really liked the Anniversary Ale. It's intended to be a fall beer, and has a little bit of a bite to it.



1 comment:

curtsgrl said...

I normally don't drink red wine because I feel like I'm licking a barrel, but the Ghost Pines Cabernet was great. Thanks for the recommendation. I hope to try the Merlot next time.