Saturday, December 1, 2012

Cycle 3...

Monday, October 1, 2012

After 3 months of trying, I woke up on Thursday, September 27, 2012, at 4:30 AM. I tossed and turned for a while before stumbling into the bathroom. I knew I was 11 days past ovulation, but I had a negative test on Tuesday, so I wasn't too hopeful. I went ahead and took a test. After 2 mins, it was still stark white. I went ahead and dumped my pee cup (glamorous, I know), and carried the stick with me as I went to get dressed. A minute later, there was a line. A beautiful, pink line. I couldn't believe it. I came downstairs in a fog of disbelief. A line is a line, but I'd feel better if I had seen it spelled out...Dammit! Why did I dump the pee so quickly?



My plan was to stay quiet until Nick got home from Marching Band later that night...I was going to fabricate some fantastic scheme to announce it to him. No such luck-I crawled back in bed with him, spooned him, and whispered in his ear, "I took a test this morning. It was positive." He rolled over, we made out, and I felt much better.

Upon returning downstairs, I had a revelation. We were hanging out with friends tomorrow, and everyone would know something would be up if I wasn't drinking with everyone else. And I had someone else I had to tell. I texted my friend Rachel, whose home we'd be invaded, "I need help faking drinking tomorrow night." She was more than willing to oblige. :-)

That evening, once Nick and I finally got to talk, we were debating whether or not to tell our parents yet. On one hand, we wanted to wait, but we were going up to his parents on Saturday, and we probably wouldn't see them again until Thanksgiving. I felt it was important to deliver the news in person, rather than over the phone. And if we told one set of parents, we needed to go ahead and tell the other set.

By Friday evening, we went ahead and decided to share the news. While at my parents' house, I asked my dad if he had thought any more about getting a bigger place for vacation next summer. Of course, he went on a tangent about looking for a new place. I thought I was going to explode before I said, "I am not sleeping on a pull out couch next summer with Nick, David, and a newborn baby." I thought my parents were going to fall over in shock and surprise. The next day, Nick just told his parents, "We were going to save a lot of money on wine over the next 9 months." His parents are equally as excited, but somehow, I don't think they were quite a surprised.

Right now, we are excited and terrified all at once. We go in for our first appointment for medical history and bloodwork in two weeks, and then have our first doctor appointment on Halloween, when I'll be 8 weeks 3 days. Fingers crossed everything goes well between now and then.

No comments: